A weblog about birding, birdwatching, wild birds, raptors, hawk watch, raptor migrations and bird conservation from a birder, nature photographer and naturalist who resides in Veracuz Mexico.




E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



These tyrant flycatchers like it spicy!
The other day on my patio here in Tlacotalpan Veracruz Mexico where I
live I heard the shrill chwittering of the Social Flycatcher, Myiozetetes similis. I approached the window of my room to see this social flycatcher dip down to grab in its bill a tiny hot red pepper that here we call chilpaya and fly up. I observed this action repeated during the day. Later I here the familiar sound of kis-k-dee and move to the window to observe the same action, this time performed by the Great Kiskadee, Pitangus sulphuratus. This is the first time that I have observed this particular feeding behavior, I wonder if the extreme spicy nature of these chiles serves a specific biological function, perhaps to clear their system of parasites.
But then again maybe they just like it HOT!
Good birding,
David


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links

Free Web Site Counters
Hit Counter
ATOM 0.3